Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The perfect e-commerce solution

http://www.quivers.com/
The perfect e-commerce solution
My eyes glaze over as I stare out the window. It is a moment of contemplation. What the hell am I doing here? And what the hell am I doing with my life? It’s a rainy Tuesday in the middle of November, and I haven’t had customer come in my store since we opened over a few several hours back. Even that customer, chipper and full of stoke, came in and plopped his two quarters down on the counter. “Bar of Sexual intercourse Wax, purple label.” I smiled as I gave it to him, knowing it was costing me about 20 cents to sell him this bar. Still, my business partner and I prided ourselves of keeping it real and stoking the blue collar surfer with 50 cent surf wax…anything to get people to come through our doors.

We’ve been in business for six years, and it has been about two months since the mad summerand again-to-school rush. Now we have to keep steady and hold out for Christmas. For about four weeks, we will enjoy the materialistic feeding frenzy that our modern society has created. Quick, it’s the holidayseason, now spend all of your money! That four-week financial shot in the arm is what we need to sustain life until spring. Yes, you could definitely say that you have to weather the wintertime retail storm to stay alive in these parts. After the holiday season, it receives pretty quiet, and all we can do is hold out until spring crack. Even then, most of the tourists were down in southern California where the ladies could buy their bikinis and tan while their tattooed boys played volleyball and drink beer all day. For us, up in central California, the climate doesn’t really warm up until the middle of June, when the kids got out of school. But when that happens, it is on!

With surf camps, graduation and Father’s day items, and an influx of folks from the valley, business is as good as it receives for a few months in the summer. Even the locals awake from their comas and buy their kids wetsuits, boogie boards, sunglasses, sandals…you identify it. Life is good in the summer when you are a surf shop owner….I need to keep telling myself that, for right now, I’m ready to set a sign on the door and go get some 49 degree surfing in for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment